San Francisco Day 5

05 Aug

Day 5- Mon. July 27

                I learned
a late lesson on our last day: Starbucks IS cheaper in the States (I was led
wrong by a Starbucks in the airport) and sweeter too. Starbucks also got us
kicked off the trolley that we were going to take downtown to get to the
airport. So instead we had to walk, uphill, and very fast because we miscalculated
just how much time it would take us to get to the airport, given that from
downtown we still had about a half hour ride on the BART. Another lesson
learned: San Francisco is the worst city to be late in; procrastinators and
lolly-gaggers beware. We had just missed the BART train to the airport and had
to (in agony) wait 15 minutes (agony because of how late we were).The huge
line-ups at the airport were not much help, given we had about 20 minutes to
check-in, get my baggage (filled with precious 2L of Cherry Dr Pepper and
California wine) checked and board the plane. To our rescue there were some
self-check-in kiosks, but they were for boarding passes only, no luggage. So we
frantically looked around for anyone who could help us, and the guy just told
us to cut in line and I quickly realized he meant the line for the
self-check-in for luggage, which had been right beside the boarding pass only
kiosk. Another lesson learned. We ran like the people in Home Alone and made it
with no time to spare (meaning no time to grab food) only to find out that our flight
was delayed because of heavy storms in Texas which is where our layover was. So
we did have time to find food.

All that rushing and we now had
time to kill, we settled for the first food place we found and it was gross. My
$10 burger tasted like crap, it was dry and bland and so not filling. We continued
on through the airport in search of flight-snacks. In that search I unexpectedly
found some Keebler food, a brownie to fill my cravings. Alas, there wasn’t much
else selection, it sucked really. On our way back to the gate I saw a guy about
to fall into the same burger trap I had fallen into, I felt like running over
in slow-motion and smacking it out of his hand while yelling “Noooooo…” and
then him getting all mad and then me saying, “Trust me, it was for your own
good,” and him still being mad at me and then biting into it and making a face
much like the one I made. And then he would look down sheepishly and thank me. Maybe
even call me his hero. Our plane on the way back was a 747 and was roomier and
bigger and in general better, I even got a pillow! There was free music playing
out of the arm rest if you plugged in your headphones and we found of that they
served Sierra Mist and Dr Pepper on the flight. The icing on the cake was that
the in-flight movie was 17 Again, and it was awesome, as was my greasy Keebler

When we arrived in Fort Worth we
had to run again like mad, because we only had about 10 minutes to catch our
connecting flight home. Impeding our way was the stupid design of the DFW
airport. We had to take the LRT which actually circles the massive parking lot!
When we got to the section of the airport we decided to double-check that the
gate was still the same one the captain had told us, and it wasn’t it had changed.
Thankfully it was just in the next section, a 2 minute run. We arrived at the
gate just in time, out of breath, panting, and of course I was hungry again. Not
to mention the whole time we were running I was wondering if my luggage would
keep up with me, or if we missed the flight would my luggage have made and it
be waiting for me? Or lost somewhere in the abyss? I must’ve thought of every
imaginable possibility for an adventurous trip my luggage could’ve potentially
taken. Again, our flight had been delayed thanks to the storms. I was reassured
my luggage would make it home with me. We settled down and had some Popeye’s
Chicken which wasn’t all that bad, or I was just that hungry. The chicken
nuggets appeared to contain real chicken, and the people gave me way more than
just six. The sweet ‘n’ sour sauce was oddly spicy though. Whilst on another
snack-run I discovered that things really are bigger in Texas: I found a
massive Rice Krispy Square, about the equivalent of 3-4 of them stacked

The second airplane was slightly
smaller than the first but still had TV and radio. The 80’s station had a funny
commercial: “What time is it? Check your Swatch! It’s the 80s.” For the plane
trip this time we had Butterfinger Crisp and Almond Joy and they played The
Office and 30 Rock. All of which helped calm my nerves when we hit some
turbulence and passed over lightning happening below us.  My overall lesson learned was that the theme
of day was running for and almost missing transport connections but them ending
up being delayed so in the end we rushed and stressed over nothing. It was
uphill both ways.

Leave a comment

Posted by on August 5, 2009 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: